My Weight Loss Progress

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Zumba


Well, today was my first time every trying Zumba. For those of you that have never heard of it, it is a pretty high intensity aerobic dance workout to latin music. It focuses on salsa, mambo, etc. It was really fun and I liked it a lot. It was actually a pretty hard workout too. I felt like it was good though because my heart rate never got so high that I felt like I would die but by the end of the class I was having a hard time keeping up as my endurance was fading.

When I first got to the class they asked if there were any first timers. I raised my hand, the heaviest in the room, and the instructor said "there is a beginners class, while zumba is designed for all levels of fitness, it may be a little tricky but try your best". I wanted to say, "Hey Lady, I took dance for almost 15 years and I can probably shake it better than you". Yeah, not to be boastful but there wasn't anyone in the room that could Zumba any better other than the instructor. I was in a morning class so majority of the people there were older than me, well all of them were older than me and only about 3 people in the room had a lot of rhythm. This made it a little bit hard because unless you had a good view of the instructor, you could not trust that the others in the class were doing it right.

I had a lot of fun and will definitely be going back next week. After the class, the instructor came up to me and said that she was impressed how well I held my own. That made me happy. The class is challenging and I was by no means perfect at the moves. I do like that it seems like there are several dances that are repeated in other classes. I think if I keep going, I could be come a master at Zumba! haha. I'll keep you posted. The dance moves were fairly simple but fast paced and you do have to learn how to move your hips latin style.

No comments:

Post a Comment