My Weight Loss Progress

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Intervals & Milk

So I have really been trying to do interval training. My strength training with Tammye are quick circuits and you get an aerobic workout while you are building muscle. I have also been trying to do intervals on the treadmill as that is the way the C25K program works. Well, last night I was reading and found this article which was on the front page of the fitness section.
Here is a short clip from the article: "Experts say interval training, alternating bursts of intensity activity with less intense periods, can burn more calories, boost stamina, and stave off that burning pain that stops any workout dead in its tracks. Interval training reduces training time, and the less time you have to commit to exercising, the more likely you are to stay exercising. It reduces boredom and increases variety and challenge"
It was great to read that what I am doing works! Now I just need to do it more often. I have kind of been slacking on the treadmill lately. Not sure how I was so diligent about it before I went back to work. I really need to be working out 5 days a week, at least 4 on the treadmill. I have been pretty faithful about my strength training. It is brutal too! but I keep coming back for more. So the last time I did "weekend warrior", as I was walking out my trainer told me that I should stop by the gas station on the way home and grab a chocolate milk in order for my muscles to get the much needed protein to replenish. She said it was important for it to be liquid protein as it is absorbed much faster. I was hesitant to do it because of the additional calories but took her advice. Again, last night as I was reading through the fitness section I came across yet another article to support this.
Here is a short clip from this one: "Researchers are giving scientific support to a view that Whitmore vouches for from experience: that milk may be just as good or even better than sports drinks for serious athletes recovering from exercise. The health benefits of milk — which has carbohydrates, electrolytes, calcium and vitamin D — have long been established. But for athletes, milk also contains the two proteins best for rebuilding muscles: casein and whey. Muscles get damaged after an intense bout of aerobic exercise like running, playing football, or cycling. The casein and whey proteins in milk are precisely what the body needs to regenerate muscles fast."
If you have time, I suggest you read both of these articles as they were good information. Especially if you are an athlete or trying to lose weight. I am just gonna keep doing what I am doing! Looks like it should work!

No comments:

Post a Comment