My Weight Loss Progress

Friday, December 31, 2010

Leave Your Past Behind You

So we all have something that we are not proud of, something in our past that we would change; whether it be big or small we all have something. It could be physical, mental or emotional. As I talk to people many things come out: they regret that they have gained weight, they regret not going to college, they wish they would have been a better parent, maybe a better child, they regret financial decisions that they have made, jobs that they have taken or not taken. There is always something. What would you change? This post is not for us to reflect on our past for long it is also not to reflect on other people's past....but to look forward to the future.

People disappoint us. Whether it be our parents, grandparents, children, friends, etc. However Chuck Swindoll once said "We cannot change our past. We can not change the fact that people act in a certain way. We can not change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.” Our attitude makes such a difference. Have you heard of the 80/20 rule? It states that 20% of our life is made of things that happen to you and the other 80% is how we react to it. So, what does this mean? It means that we usually don't have control of the 20%. We can't stop the car from breaking down, the kids from getting sick, etc...but we can change how we react to these problems.

Whether it be people that disappoint us or whether we have disappointed ourselves, the only thing that we can change is the future and our attitude. Since today is New Years Eve, I challenge you to put your past or your contention toward others that have affected your past behind you and move forward. I read a quote the other day "Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future". I have learned that forgiveness is totally for you, it is not for those that have harmed you. A lot of the time we stay awake at night pissed off at how we have been wronged. The problem is that the person we are mad at isn't losing sleep over it; WE ARE! Most of the time they don't even know that we are mad at them and if they did, they wouldn't care. So while we are hoping that it is eating away at's not, it is eating away at us! If you have people to it now. Bitterness only kills us.

If you don't like the person you have been, then change it! Don't sit around and talk about what you have or haven't done. Quit talking about the reasons and excuses that have kept you from doing the things you need to do. Instead, change it. TODAY! Whether it be mental, physical or emotional; change it! Someone once said, "One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.”

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope that you all have a healthy & prosperous 2011. Good luck with all those resolutions!

1 comment: