My Weight Loss Progress

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Poor Sissy got a Boo Boo

I know this has nothing to do with weight loss but I figured it better be noted. I think I still have a little bit of post traumatic stress from the whole event.

We came home from Orlando and it was still super hot here so we decided it would be fun to quickly clean up from our trip and head to the mountains for a little camp out. We packed up our pop up trailer for the first time this year and headed to the hills.

As we were setting up the camper we noticed that the small bungee cord that holds the canvas to the beds and stretched from time and was no longer holding the canvas tight. Didn't really think too much about it just thought that we would be careful and have the baby sleep between us cause the worst thing that could happen is that she would roll of the edge and even though the canvas was secure, since it wasn't tight she might slip right through. We all went to bed and Hudson asked to be snuggled so Travis went into his bed and accidentally fell asleep. The baby and I on the other side also were asleep. I was sleeping on edge as I usually have to get up and go to the bathroom so the baby was in the middle but Travis was not there to block her from rolling. I didn't know though that Travis wasn't in bed with us since I fell asleep before him.

All night sissy snuggled very close to me and I felt like she was safe. The sad thing is that I predicted this whole thing and that is why I think I feel so guilty. At around 7AM, the baby moved so that her feet were up by my head now and her head was below. At this time I thought about the potential for her to fall through but she was still close by so I grabbed her foot and thought I'd take in another 30 minutes of sleep.

That is when the worst thing in the world happened. While I was still asleep, all of a sudden I heard the baby screaming. I immediately knew what had happened! Oh no. She had rolled from the bed onto the asphalt. I looked quickly and saw her laying on the ground bleeding from her head. I yelled for Travis to go get her. Thankfully I am a first aid instructor and had brought a kit. I held some pressure till the bleeding stopped, attempted to ice (she hated it) and then cleaned it out and stuck a butterfly bandage on it. We quickly broke down camp and decided we better take her to the doctor just to make sure it didn't need stitched.

The baby really took it better than me. I was in a state of "fight or flight" mode and felt very anxious and I felt very guilty. How could this of happened...just minutes before we would of all woke up. Damn it! The doctor said that it was on the fence and may not need to be stitched but since it was on her face, for cosmetic reasons we may want to stitch it. Two stitches later and we are all better. She had no signs of a concussion. Really she was laughing within a few minutes of it happening and really didn't cry for long. Even at the doctors office she was posing for the camera and playing peek-a-boo.

Accidents happen but this was preventable and never should have. I feel really bad but I am just glad that she is okay. It could have been so much worse. She is a trooper. I think I definitely could of used some chocolate or something yesterday. I felt stressed and exhausted all day. Last night I couldn't barely sleep cause the event just kept replaying in my mind and I could just see her laying outside the trailer on the pavement. When I was a kid, I ran into the corner of a wall and had to get five stitches down the middle of my forehead....I guess we will be twins. At least hers is smaller and higher but I am sure she will have a little scar. Darn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment