My Weight Loss Progress

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Easy Baked Ravioli

I got this recipe from my friend Rachel. While it isn't the lowest in calories, I still make it for my family and make myself a big salad and practice portion control.
Easy Baked Ravioli
2 tsp. Italian dressing
1 medium red pepper
1 small onion (finely chopped)
15 oz. spaghetti sauce-Recipe to follow or you can use bottled or your own recipe
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1 pkg. (9 oz) Ravioli cooked and drained
1/2 C Shredded mozzerella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat dressing in a large skillet on medium heat. Add peppers and onions. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in sauce and crushed red pepper. Combine all ingredients. (the original recipe calls for layering of sauce and ravioli but I find this unnecessary. Bake 25 minutes or until heated through. Makes 3-4 servings.

Spaghetti Sauce
Let me start by saying that this recipe is famous in my family. My grandpa being adopted by Italians; this came from his ancestors and is a true "DeLuca" authentic Italian Recipe. My family won't eat anything but this. Hudson loves anything made with this sauce! I use it for spaghetti, lasagna, pretty much anything that calls for a marinara sauce. I will warn you that this tastes nothing like Prego or Ragu or your traditional american sauce made with hamburger and bell peppers. It may take some getting used to but everyone that tries it usually loves it. I have actually never shared it as it is kind of a family secret but thought that I would anyway. So for those of you reading, feel very fortunate. This will make quite a lot, so freeze half and pull it out next time you need some.

DeLuca Sauce
1/3 C Olive Oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 small-med onion
1 regular can tomato paste (they also make a really small can, make sure to use the one similar to a soup can)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP italian seasoning
1/3 C red wine vinegar
1 Lg can tomato puree (I think it's around 27 oz)
1 C water (may add a little more if it seems to thick)
optional: add Italian sausage, diced tomatoes (fresh or canned) & mushrooms
**I prefer Hunt's brand for the paste and puree

Heat oil in large pan, add garlic and onions till translucent. If using sausage and mushrooms add now. Add tomato paste and stir allowing to simmer for 5 minutes. Add spices and vinegar, let simmer another couple minutes. Add rest of the ingredients. This recipe is best if it simmers a minimum of an hour and up to 3 hours to really let the spices give it maximum flavor. Do not use hamburger in this recipe. It would be an insult to it's heritage. :)

1 comment:

  1. This looks SO yummy Cheryl! I am looking forward to trying it as Marinara sauce is not my specialty yet. My philosophy is recipes are for sharing and so thank you!!

    Your Grapefruits post made me laugh hard!! Good for you that you are going to be smokin' hot!! That would be depressing to have tube socks for your chest. That is awesome that you will be able to be perky again! I know that is one of the most depressing things about losing weight is the excess skin. Love your attitude!

    As for me, my boobies are still perky and pointing up and so for the moment, I am just going to enjoy what I have. Mine are just oranges, but Tracy loves and that is all that matters!

    Sure enjoyed talking to you on the phone last week. I hope this finds you having a GREAT day! We are having a blizzard at the moment. So much for spring being almost around the corner.

    ReplyDelete