My Weight Loss Progress

Monday, January 30, 2012

Mexican Breakfast Casserole

I hate eggs! However, I know they are great for a morning breakfast packed full of protein so I have been forcing myself to eat them. However, I can't just eat them plain. I have been coming up with all of these breakfast casserole, quiche, etc. recipes. The other day I had made a black bean burrito for lunch and had left over beans. I thought that a mexican egg casserole might be good (like huevos rancheros). I googled a recipe and this is what I found.

Mexican Breakfast Casserole
1-2 tsp olive oil
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 yellow onion chopped
1 TBSP cumin
5 eggs
1 can creamed corn
1 TBSP cilantro
1/2 C shredded cheese
1 C milk (use skim)
cayenne pepper to taste

Sautee onion in olive oil for a few minutes and add black beans and cumin till warm. Add to casserole pan. (I used an 8 by 8 square). Mix all of the other ingredients and pour on top. I think it would be even better with a small can of green chilles too. Bake at 325 till eggs are no longer runny. I used my convection oven and this took about 35 minutes.

I thought this was really good and I served it with salsa. It would have been even better in a low carb tortilla (or whole wheat). Surprisingly, Travis didn't really like it. I am not sure why..I thought it was good and I don't even like eggs. I am usually the more picky eater (I'm not very picky though). I guess you'll just have to try it to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment