My Weight Loss Progress

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Keen What?


Have you heard of quinoa? I was originally introduced to it by my sister-in-law, Shelley, years ago..however as of recently it has really gotten popular. Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is a grain that comes from South America. The great thing about it is that it contains more protein than any other grain.

Quinoa contains an average of 16.2% protein, compared with 7.5 for rice, 9.9 percent for millet and 14% for wheat. Some varieties of quinoa are even more than 20% protein. But what makes quinoa’s protein special is the unusual high quality of it. It is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance very close to the ideal.

It is super easy to cook, similar to rice. If you haven't tried it, I encourage you to; especially if you are trying to reduce your carbs and eat more whole grains. You can find it in the rice section of the store or the health food section. It is very versatile. You can eat it like oatmeal, cold in salads (similar to cous cous), or warm like rice. It is a little crunchy and the texture is unique but I really like it.

Last night I made salsa pork chops and served it with quinoa instead of rice. It was delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE quinoa! Its so yummy with strawberries and almond milk!

    ReplyDelete