My Weight Loss Progress

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pork Carnitas

This is another very easy recipe. It is especially nice because you can make it in the crock-pot. It also only requires you to buy 2-3 ingredients. It is so yummy. You can also substitute the salsa verde for pace picante if you prefer red sauce.

Salsa Verde Pork Carnitas

2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder (I didn't have so I just used some boneless chops)
1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde
1 white onion, chopped
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp kosher salt
1/4-1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Directions:
Place pork shoulder in crockpot. Cover with salsa, onions, cumin, and salt. Cover and set on low for 10 hours.

After 10 hours, remove pork from crock pot and place into bowl. At this point, it should be very tender and falling apart. Shred the meat with two forks and use however much liquid you need from the crock pot to moisten the meat. I used a combination of the liquid and chunky salsa to make it a mixture of onions and meat.

Serve in tortillas, and top with cilantro, guacamole, sour cream. You could also add lettuce or cabbage. This is great for people on low calorie diets or low carb. If you are watching you calories I recommend using the fajita size tortillas or find yourself a low carb option at your local grocery.

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to try "Pork Carnitas" when we go to Los Albertos in Idaho Falls. This looks like another great recipe for stretching meat. I'm sure this would be a hit at my house.

    BTW...if your food photos are ones you took...they look great and mouth watering! Wish I could pull it off the screen and eat it!!

    ReplyDelete